leila/ November 30, 2018/ Internet Services

How to Prevent Electrical Fires by Hiring Electricians

There is a hidden danger that can be experienced in your home, the magnitude and severity of the danger is far beyond the dangers that can be detected by your security system or dogs, this danger is an electrical fire. More than 51000 electrical fires happen annually leaving almost 500 people dead and causing a property damage worth 1.4M dollars. As dangerous as the electrical fires seem to be, there is hope in dealing with the situation because there are ways to avoid or prevent the fires.

In this article, we are going to look at the major causes of electrical fires and how they can be prevented. One of the major causes of electrical fires is old wiring, you should be aware of the last time the wiring in your home got updated and get the codes renewed if the last update happened within very long time. You definitely would want every room and electrical appliances to be connected, however, this will not be achievable when you are dealing with an old wiring, this type of wiring is too weak to support such a big connection. The other cause of electrical fires is faulty wiring, this can be encountered when you encounter trips on your circuit breaker whenever connect your microwave and toaster at the same time. Faulty appliances is also another reason for electrical fires, over a period of 7 years, 69000 appliances have been the cause of fires in the house. Always make sure that the appliances are connected to circuits which are not overloaded and you can also consider installing ground-fault circuit indicator outlet which detects an imbalance between the incoming and outgoing currents. You can also take the maintenance agreement receipts when purchasing an electrical appliance, this will make the dealers conduct annual inspection in your home.

The other reason for electrical wires is cheap extension cords as well as misuse of the cords, you should not connect appliances to the extension cords. Another cause of fires is the space heater which according to the National Fire protection agency covers up to 43% of fires in homes, the space heaters are used to heat your homes, however, when it is close to something flammable, it causes fire. Since an extension cord has less power, when a space heater is plugged into it, the outcome is likely to be a fire outbreak.

The other major reason for electrical fires is when an outlet is not fixed properly or when wires are not properly put together. Another cause is the lighting system, always check the wattage of your lamp or bulb and do not install a bulb that exceeds the recommended wattage.

You can manage electrical fire by using a fire extinguisher with an A-B-C rating, never use water to put off the fire. The easiest way to prevent an electrical fire is to hire an electrician who will inspect your electrical system constantly.

Share this Post